Our Role Assisting Insurers in Assessing Commercial Insurance Claims
As expert accountants, we assist in-house claim advisors and outside adjusters in the review and settlement of the following claims presented to the insurance company by their policyholders:
- Business interruption claims
- Property damage claims
- Inventory loss claims
Our review of an individual claim involves the following steps:
- We review the underlying insurance policy.
- We meet and interview key individuals at the policyholder e.g finance, operations.
- We review the documentation supporting the claim.
- We research current trends in the policyholder's industry.
- Based on the interview, the review of the documents and our research, we prepare a report which analyzes the strength and weaknesses of the claim and recommends an amount payable by our client.
- We assist our client in negotiating the claim.
- We recognize that our clients have an ongoing relationship with their policyholders. Accordingly our goal is to enable our clients to achieve an amicable and timely settlement of the claim.
We have acted as the expert accountant for insurance companies in the presentation and negotiation of business interruption claims and property damage claims. We have experience in a wide range of industries.
In addition to the experience described above, we have presented on business interruption insurance issues to the insurance community, contributed a chapter to the publication "Business Interruption Insurance" issued by Canada Law Book Inc. in 2004 and published articles entitled "In case of fire, break glass?" in the August 2005 issue of the Canadian Chartered Accountants monthly magazine and "Calm During Crisis" in the August 2007 issue of Canadian Underwriter. We are members of relevant business associations.
Contact us for more information